Friday 17 September 2010

Mint Velvet Tea Party

Yesterday evening I was invited to attend a sneak preview of the new Mint Velvet AW10 collection held in collaboration with a celebration of the brand’s first birthday. Featuring one-off artisan prints and an array of luxurious fabrics and textures from silk and linen to velvet and faux-fur, each piece was beautifully offset by intricate embellishment.

In a pared down colour palette of khakis, greys and delicate pastels, the collection was hugely understated, with each individual garment including features that easily gave them the wow factor, whether this be stud detailing, extreme batwing sleeves or intricate lace and ruffle trimmings. With delicate embroidery aplenty, I also spied encrusted beading, feathers, fringing, drapery shearlings and butter-soft leather and suede.

One of the things that impressed me most was that all of the sample sizes on display were a size 12, worlds away from the size 6's and 8's that I’ve become accustomed to seeing on the racks, helping to hammer home that Mint Velvet design clothes for real women.

As a little gift, Mint Velvet had a novel idea to fill a trunk with garments, so each journalist and blogger got to rummage through and choose their own garment, which was a fun and more personal concept for gifting, which went down a treat. I left with a grey woollen dress which I love, and a beautiful silver necklace!

Where: Amour Encore Cafe, 1 Woodstock Street, W1
Who: The labels three designers; Jane Rawling, Lisa Agar and Liz Houghton
Food/ drink: Beautiful lemon cupcakes and brownies washed down with a variety of teas – I plumped for the rose and champagne tea, which was delicious.

Happy birthday Mint Velvet!

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures, I went to the event too and forgot my camera! I had the rose tea too, it was yum! Catherine x

    ReplyDelete