Tuesday 5 October 2010

LFW Diary SS11 Highlights: Mulberry

For me there is almost nothing to say about the Mulberry SS11 collection. For many years Mulberry has been my most lusted-after-label due to its sheer simplicity and ability to exude luxury in an understated and elegant way as opposed to gaudy brands such as Gucci and Louis Vuitton, who insist on scribbling initials or logos all over their products like an only child with megalomaniac tendencies. Mulberry is iconic, classic, timeless and most brilliant of all – it’s quintessentially British.

Between you and me I have always wanted the classic wardrobe staple that is the Bayswater bag, although it has recently been usurped by the much trendier Alexa in my ‘grown-up wardrobe wishlist’. Anyway, whilst I a)work in fashion and b)could probably afford it, for some reason I’ve never let myself indulge and am instead saving that treat for my 25th birthday, as both a celebration of my upcoming quarter-Century, but also as a pat on the back for actually ‘earning it’.

As expected, greatness was the lasting message that emanated from the brand’s SS11 offering. As always it was all about the minor details and one I loved most of all was the unabashed red-head celebration that showed every model cast in all her auburn glory. With giant pink blooms taking over the catwalk, themes were the film Grey Gardens and Frances Hodgson Burnett’s novel The Secret Garden, which informed the block colour palette and set the tone of the show. With kookily illustrated paper dolls propping up the catwalk and bunny’s making a comeback - look no further than the LFW tote bag - I’m planning to go into hibernation until the first daisies and daffodils arrive and maybe I’ll have saved enough pennies for my spring slice of Mulberry delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment