Wednesday 20 October 2010

LFW Diary SS11 Highlights: Vauxhall Fashion Scout Exhibition

The LFW schedule was so tight this season, I truthfully didn't expect that I'd have time to visit the VFS exhibition, although an opportunity afforded itself when one of the shows ran really late. The first designer who caught my eye was Martina Spetlova as I loved her shapes and colours. Most interesting was her unrivalled use of zips - brilliant for trans-seasonal dressing.
A designer I fell in love with was Edward Finney who honed his expert tailoring skills on Saville Row, and has since fused them with cutting-edge techniques to make amazing and somewhat eccentric womenswear. Brimming with the most luxurious brocades and silks, the SS11 collection is inspired by exotic dancer, courtesan and spy Mata Hari and draws on influences from Ancient Egypt and Paris in the 1920s. A truly great collection and having been nominated for this year's Fashion Fringe, Finney is most certainly one to watch.
Another quirky young designer whom I loved is Charlotte Taylor. So simple, yet so effective, I absolutely loved Charlotte's orange robot print, applying her signature stamp throughout the collection. If I had to pick, my favourite garments would be the two pairs of shorts pictured below.
A label I hadn't previously heard of, I loved the linen pieces by Ong.
Last but by no means least, I really admired the accessories on display from Yorkshire Pearl. As someone who loves buttons and little trinkets, these pieces are perfect for me and I think they'd add a healthy dose of drama to any photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment